CST489/499 Week 10 Learning Journal

Summary (Green Potion Games Capstone)

  • I achieved a major milestone in development (getting the core features online) and project development is going well.
  • My plans for next week are to continue feature development.
  • I haven't had any major challenges requiring assistance. 

 

What I've accomplished

    I made some really good progress this week and hit a major milestone in development. The core foundation of the project is complete. I implemented the core admin commands for the bot that allow you to register players, individual games, and seasons (per game) into the database. The most difficult feature was the command to report new events. 

    You can run "/register-player name:" to register a new player. That player then exists in the database and the auto-fill functions I created allows the bot to automatically suggest registered players to the admin when they are reporting on the data for an event.

    The basic workflow when using the Discord bot is as follows. You use "/create-game name:Pokemon" to add that game to the database. Then you can create seasons for a game using "/create-season game:Pokemon name:Season 1 start_date:2025-11-12 end_date:2025-11-25". 

    Then once you have your game and a season you can use "/register-player name:Vance" to register every player into the database so they can be reported inside events. The point of registering a player is to prevent typos and other errors when entering in event data. If you try to enter the name of someone who isn't registered you'll just get an error that says that the player is not registered. 

    Once you have all of that set up and your players registered, you can go ahead and enter in data for events that they participated in. To report event data you use "/report-event game:Pokemon season:Season 1 event_name:Monday event_date:2025-11-12 points:10,5,3,1 first_place_player:Vance second_place_player:Ash third_place_player:John other_players:PlayerA,PlayerB". This looks like a pretty cumbersome way to enter data, but most of the information fields have auto-fill functions to allow you to select games, seasons, players, and point presets from information that's already registered in the database.

 

    I designed the system with the intention to match how Green Potion Games already records their event data in Google Sheets. I plan to add an import/export function so existing event data can be entered in once the system is deployed, but that's going to take some more time to figure out. These features weren't very easy to create since they required a lot of checks to ensure that duplicated and invalid data cannot be entered into the database.

 

What am I going to do in the next two weeks? 

    Development is technically ahead of schedule and I haven't run into as many issues as I had expected from a project like this. I believe that the most difficult parts of the project are now complete. Next week is dedicated to completing the rest of the commands and features for the admins and users. I think I'll have enough time to dedicate the week after that to developing any extra features in the backlog and polishing the overall user experience. 

    More specifically, 11/12 to 11/25 is dedicated to feature development and then 11/26 to 12/2 is dedicated to internal testing to make sure everything is working properly. I think I can be pretty flexible with this schedule depending on how much time it takes to complete each task. I haven't had any challenges that I couldn't resolve on my own yet, so fortunately there's no need for instructor assistance.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CST489/499 Week 12 Learning Journal

CST489/499 Week 11 Learning Journal